Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A bit haha more on the bit tip

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
Stuart posted a comment in yesterdays comments cluing me into something I wasnt aware of regarding router bits. A problem with many bits and routers is that the shaft of the bit can be longer than your collet. In this case, if you drop the bit all the way down into your router, it may bottom out, causing the bit to slip. Clearly, a rubber o-ring trick will do nothing for you.

Tim sent me a diagram illustrating the opposite end of the router shaft: where it meets the cutting part:

You can see where that taper occurs. Thats the area that I think Woodsmith was addressing.

All in all, I think the best and easiest tip is to just drop your bit into the router and back it out a slight -ahem- bit.

****

No project video to post this week guys. Sorry. Somehow summer activities tend to keep me out of my shop more than usual. Heres an update:

Mere Minutes



TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment