Monday, March 3, 2014

Changes on a Kitchen Cabinet

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download

Hi there!
Today I thought Id share some photos of a few changes I made yesterday in our kitchen.  You may have noticed if youve looked at our kitchen photos before that our kitchen is a little awkward and has limited cabinet space.  Shortly after we moved in, I found this freestanding wood cabinet and brought it home for extra storage.  It stands next to our other freestanding white cabinet, which we use as a pantry.


Previously Ive used the shelves above the cabinet to store pretty dishes, but recently I "bought" (I put bought in quotations since really these were practically given to me... more on that in a minute) three half-gallon size mason jars to add to the one I already had and yesterday realized I should actually utilize these jars to store some dry foods.

 And as it happens, these three jars come with a story... can you believe that last week I had the opportunity to meet somebody that I found through my blog?  I never imagined that a fellow blogger would live less than an hour away from me... and that I would not only meet her in person, but actually consider her a true friend!  But last week Amy was having a vintage yard sale and it seemed like the perfect opportunity to meet.  And it was... Amy is so genuinely sweet, has the loveliest family, a beautiful home and amazing style.  (If you havent visited her blog, All Things Home, you must be sure to stop by and say hello.  Youll love her!) 


I filled the jars with dry foods I use frequently, like rice and grits. 


I did leave a shelf for these pretty cups and saucers though... I love this pattern.  


I also have some antique silverware displayed here.  I have two sets of mismatched silverware... one set we use, but this set the plating has chipped in spots so it just sits here looking pretty in an old crock.  


 I bought most of this together and I knew it was meant for me when I found one piece monogrammed with an "A".  (smile)


An old postage scale.  I love this old scale because it actually works.

(In fact, one day I actually noticed my scale missing and later found out my dad had borrowed it to weigh some animal feed!)


Looking forward to doing some canning this summer...  


 The cabinet itself is used to store additional cookbooks, my Bosch mixer and aprons.


 Anyway, its always fun to make a few changes, especially when it frees up room in the pantry!  And this display seems so appropriate for our farmhouse kitchen. 

What do you like to use your vintage mason jars for?


TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment