Monday, February 10, 2014

Ugly Duckling Box

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
 
So I get almost all my wood at the BORG. The overall quality is low, but the thing is you can dig to your hearts content. With a little patience I can find almost perfectly clear stock, even quartersawn, but I cant count on it, so I tend to buy it when I find it and save it.
 
This particular story is different though. I didnt dig up this board, rather no one else wanted it. It was almost the last board left in the 1x12 stack when I got there, and as soon as I saw it, I had to get it. It looked so lonely! So its been waiting in the shop for almost a year, and a few days ago I decided to build a box, or maybe I should say another box because I do seem to make a lot of them. Anyway, it was time for the ugly duckling board to shine! (Jazz hands!)
 
This box is a cross between my pencil box and the box I made to hold flutes (which apparently would also be cool for holding vinyl... although I dont know about that). If you want to see how I made this box, just check out those two posts.
 
Here is the finished box before oiling:
 

And here is why we oil wood - KA-POW!:


The other end:


And a few detail shots:






Man, I wish there had been two of those boards!



TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment